A gateway to opportunity
From the makers of Gees Bend to the natural beauty of the Cahaba to the powerful stories told in the many stops along the winding civil rights trial, there is just so much to be discovered in Alabama. In fact, it seems almost every town has a something special to share. And we are here to help. Our Gateway Grants are intended to unlock the economic and cultural value within our communities by helping our towns invite new visitors, new industries, and new neighbors to their little part of our great state.
Applications Accepted June 15 – August 10, 2020
How we evaluate Gateway grant candidates
Gateway grants always meet the following criteria:
- Applying entity is a city, town or community. Awards will be paid to the municipality.
- Municipalities receiving a Gateway grant must not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, nationality, ethnic origin or disability.
- Project helps maintain civic pride in the communities in which we live.
- Project enhances economic development opportunities by providing signage that is appealing and welcoming.
- Project enhances community aesthetics by encouraging physical improvements in our neighborhoods.
- Project assists with town or event promotion for economic impact.
- Funding is limited to a maximum of $2,500 per grant.
- For signage applications requiring more than $2,500 for completion, please list other sources of funding that will help the applicant complete the project successfully.
How we’d like to see Gateway grants used
Gateway grants can be used for:
- The purchase of new signage
- Renovation of existing signage
- Website development or upgrades
- Marketing materials for town/city or for town/city event promotion